Applications for renewable generation are being taken by the Ontario Power Authority beginning October 1, 2009.
This is a Provincial Program
The Ontario Power Authority (OPA) has introduced the Renewable Energy Feed-In Tariff (FIT) Program to the province of Ontario.
The fundamental objective of the FIT Program, in conjunction with the Green Energy Act, is to encourage the development of renewable energy generating projects throughout the province.
Larger FIT projects
A generator participating in the FIT Program will generate electricity by renewable means and be paid for each kilowatt-hour produced.
Renewable energy sources which qualify for the FIT Program include:
- On-Shore Wind
- Renewable Biomass
- On-Farm Biogas
- Landfill Gas
- Solar (PV Rooftop)
- Solar (PV Non-Rooftop)
As a first step to participating in the Feed-In Tariff Program please visit the province's FIT Program website.
Smaller microFIT projects
Projects which are located on residential properties and are smaller than 10 kilowatts in capacity may apply for connection under the microFIT Program. The microFIT Program allows for an expedited application and connection process.
As a first step to participating in the microFIT Program please visit the province's microFIT Program website.
ESA Guidelines for FIT & microFIT projects
Before your project can be connected to the grid by the Fort Frances Power Corporation you must have your project inspected and approved the the Electrical Safety Authority. Click on the below links to learn more.
Connecting Your Project to Fort Frances Power Corporation Distribution System
Fort Frances Power has information regarding connection capacity and an estimate on the localized costs to connect a microFIT project to our distribution system is listed below:
Estimated Connection Costs
The following are estimated costs for connection to the Fort Frances Power Corporation Distribution System as valid in March 2010:
One Time Installation Fee:
|Supply of bi-directional meter||$100.00|
|Account Setup Fee for new account||$30.00|
|Disconnect / Reconnect Fee||$65.00|
|Monthly customer account charge
(OEB Rate Order EB-2009-0326)
- After you have educated yourself about this provincial program and decide to make the investment to move forward, please ensure that you have
- registered with the OPA and
- received a registration ID number for setting up your "My microFIT Homepage".
- Once you have your registration ID number, you can contact us regarding other details for completing the Program Application on your personal OPA page that has been set up. This number is different than the reference number assigned to each project application once it is submitted.
- microFIT and FIT Generators Inquiry for Metering and Engineering by email